Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer Butterflies

Fritillary. . .that was what came to mind when I saw
these two butterflies on a milkweed. I went home
and looked it up cause I'm not always right on with the ID.

I think this is the Great Spangled Fritillary to be exact.


It was fun to see them on the pink milk weed ball

The only times I want to take the butterflies is when they
are on a colorful flower

It's pleasing to the eye

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on my purple Butterfly Bush

Yellow on Purple...can't ask for anything prettier


ahhhhh.. maybe you can. Along came a little fella I hadn't
seen yet this summer


The Clearwing Sphinx Moth is sometimes mistaken for a
hummingbird. In fact it is called the 'Hummingbird Moth'
It hovers above a flower sipping nectar
with it's long feeding tube.(proboscis)

When finished it curls the tube under the chin and moves
on to the next flower


Hence, Clearwing, as you can see thru it's wings

It's back looks almost like fur and has a greenish tint..
again... mistaking it for a hummingbird



A Summer PA sky... just as nice as the ones we saw in
Shenandoah VA... I would say.

To God be the Glory ~~ Great Things He Hath Done

5 comments:

Craig Glenn said...

Beautiful photo's J!!!

Really awesome shots.

Craig Glenn

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

WOW! and WOW! again.The Yellow Swallowtail on the purple is perfect.
Blessings,Ruth

Janice K said...

Very, very nice. I really liked the ones with your butterfly bush.

grammie g said...

Enjoyed all your lovely photos...but especially like the Hummingbird Moth with the flowers showing through its wings...pretty neat!!

Rural Rambler said...

Great shots! Butterflies and flowers, what more could ya ask for? Well, a hummingbird moth! Very cool :)

Site Meter