Monday, August 20, 2007

Lifting your spirits with Flowers..

A Dark and Dreary day but my Rose of Sharon drenched in rain is just as beautiful as on a sunny day.





The obedient plant looks stately tall and beautiful in the morning sun.
One of most favorite flowers is the Four O'clock. I lost the seeds to my
antique ones and bought a couple packs of new ones. They are very different.

I didn't have white ones.

or Red ones for that matter.
the yellow ones looked very much the same.
But what I love about the four o'clocks is the scent they give off when they open after 4 o'clock in the afternoon. (Hence the name) These new flowers do not open until almost dusk making them very different from the antique seeds I had before. If I could just 'bottle' this scent that I love so much. If you see a four o'clock as it opens, sink your nose into the trumpet shaped flower for a delightful fragrance.



The hibiscus is a hybrid for our zone that they can survive the winters. A tiny bug finds it way across the petals of the flower.



Another favorite is the 'tropical' hibiscus. These plants have to be brought in when the temperatures drop below 50. I have wintered this one for 5 years in my basement with grow lights.

Hopefully the flowers have brightened up your dreary day here in PA where the rains just keep coming down.

1 comment:

Jotter Jan said...

Nice rainy day shots!

Site Meter