Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Got Suet?

Suet is a high energy formulation of animal fat
and other ingredients to attract insect eating birds.
It supplies a quick source of heat and energy for birds,
who's metabolisms are set on fast forward.
It traditionally has been used as a good substitute
for the insects that birds usually feed upon
but are not plentiful in cold weather.

These pictures remind me of the 'milk commercial'
where everyone displays a milk mustache...
hence the bird's display the 'suet' mustache.


Most suets are made of 3 main ingredients:
FAT + CORNMEAL + PEANUT BUTTER
Throw in a few nuts, seeds and dried fruits and
you have a delightful delicious treat for the birds.
Let's ask the birds what they think....

Mr. Red belly give me your thoughts on this suet.

Jalynn, You ARE the man!! Fresh suet.


I just can't wait to taste it


I'll just stick my beak right into that yummy stuff!



mmmmmm Now! That's what I call sweet


I'm so lucky to live in this neighborhood...



Hey! you other birds, come taste this for yourself!


It is simply.... Deeevine!


Thank you Red Belly, I think I will try some..

You're right Mr. Red Belly, this stuff sticks to your ribs...


and it sticks to your beak...



Maybe I can rub some off on the side of the tree....
Hey! Guys move on over it's my turn to try some..

I hate to show you how it's done....but dainty bites will
keep it off your beak...

See.. no mustache for me.


AAA Chooo! Oh excuse me I didn't mean to spit
on anyone....

To God be The Glory ~~ Great Things He Hath Done

9 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

What a fascinating glimpse into avian eating habits! Comical as well as cool. Love the running commentary as well as the images with their excellent up-close detail. And it's good to see the birds are eating well in this cold weather.

Shelley said...

Every one of these bird's faces were precious! Seeing the red bellied w/ his closed eyes - I just knew how much he was enjoying your suet! You're a good bird mommy!

sandy said...

Ohhh you have beautiful photos!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful shots.The birds are indeed lucky to have you in their neighborhood.
Blessings,Ruth

jalynn01 said...

Bird girl: I can't remember seeing the cardinal eat suet either, but there he was.

Peggy said...

Gorgeous shots, funny commentary! Loved it! You are so lucky to have so many visitors!

The Birdlady said...

They are really enjoying it! Wonderful photos!

Marsha said...

Oh I loved all these closeups of our suet eating friends (especially the cardinals)! You have captured them all so beautifully.

Tina said...

What a bird's eye view of suet feeders...great close ups..love the little bits of suet still on their bills! Cool idea and you your story line was great!

Site Meter