Saturday, January 31, 2009

Wind Turbines and Pennsylvania Beauty

When I started out today I was just taking my dad some
homemade lasagna.. but it was early and I was in
the mood to take some pictures so I kept on driving.
He is half way up the mountain from a local Ski
resort and I would never have attempted to go there
in the winter with my old car.... but I got a new SUV with
4wheel drive so up up and away I went.

Along the way I took pictures ... This is an old familiar
farm where I look for deer in the spring and fall. None today.
But I enjoy the beauty of the snow covered hills.

The Wind Turbines have always fascinated me and
I wanted a close-up look. Controversial as they are
here in PA, we DO need energy alternatives.
Central Pennsylvania, with its many blustery
ridgetops, is seen as a prime location. Some of
the debate centers around these issues: 1) ridgetops
are home to unbroken forests and wildlife, 2)areas are
important bird and mammal areas,3) ridgetops are
the last forest habitat in central Pennsylvania
and 4)they bring damage to the aesthetics of the region.



The road is narrow and hilly but I fearlessly drive..

An abandoned house with most of the windows missing
makes an interesting shot out the passenger window


Closer the road is a enclosure with a picnic table inside..
I bet some family fun was shared here once upon a time.



The road is snow covered and gets steeper..
but I press on...the radio is playing an old song and
I am singing along... Marvin Gaye sings:

"Ain't no Mountain High Enough"



As I near the top the snow is much deeper....


The road is completely covered and the wind is blowing

I start down the other side and it's drifting and blowing
snow across the road... Hmmmmm was this a mistake?
Then in the distance I see the turbines and what a sight
I loved seeing it.


Up here it's colder and all the snow is sticking to
the tree trunks and limbs

It's like a winter wonderland
When I came upon the first huge majestic turbine
I was awed. They are some kind of BIG!!

The wind is turning them slowly and I can hear a
slight noise.

I am just amazed by these steel and metal structures

As I was reading about these particular turbines...I found
that there is a law suit pending by a local couple who
own a 100 acre farm within 1 mile of the wind farm.

Odd as it may sound, they did not sue for any of the reasons
I listed above, but because of the 'noise'..They describe
the sound from the equipment as a "whooshing" and "screeching.'


They say they have a significantly negative impact on their sleep, health,
quality of life and enjoyment of their property purchased in 1992.
While holding a bottle of water inside the home, the turbines'
vibrations can be felt through the hand. I will be interested
in the outcome of the suit.

Now I'm singing along with The Righteous Brothers;
"You've Lost that loving Feeling"
Enjoying more of that beautiful Pennsylvania landscape


As I round the bend, the snow is piled so high I can see
just the tops of two silos...


And a short distance later comes the barn and house.


These two would not lift their heads for me....I gave them
my best whinny and snort, but nothing...

To God be The Glory ~~ Great Things He Hath Done

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the people can feel the turbines and hear the noise then I am sure the wildlife can also feel it and hear the sound and it might have a bad impact on local wildlife. They should consider building them with rubber feet something like they set buildings on in San Francisco to keep them from being torn to pieces in Earthquakes. Rubber might work. I wonder if they thought of that?

Thanks for visiting Abe Lincoln's Blog called Memories.

You are right, people prefer pictures to reading but there is no way to talk about the details of a Model T Ford's gas tank unless you tell the story. LOL

So that is why I started the blog.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I enjoyed going for a ride with you. The scenery was beautiful and I loved the music too! I was singing along.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I guess your vehicle must be quite full,as I also enjoyed the ride and the scenery.The wind turbines in our area make just a slight noise,the blades slicing thriugh the air,and as for vibrations,we have stood right near them and never felt anything.I think they are impressive,and beautiful against a sunset.Thanks for the ride and the good time.
Blessings,Ruth

CountryDreaming said...

Love your photos of buildings in winter stillness and impressive snowdrifts! I was born near Pittsburgh but my parents moved back to their home state of New York months afterward, so I've really never gotten to know the beauty of my home state of Pennsylvania in depth, and now live all by my lonesome in Ohio of all places. It's photos like yours that inspire me to see more of what PA has to offer. ... Am not quite sold on the wind turbines though. Thanks for sharing such gorgeous landscape images in your blog entry.

Tina said...

J,
Loved the drive thru all those hills and snowy roads. I have seen the turbines from afar and was amazed at how big just one blade was on those things! I could see that they would make a swooshing sound and bother people and wild life. I bet they also have many birds that fly into those blades??? Glad you made it to and from safely and thanks for taking us along. Nothing like Pa. vistas! They are the best!!

NCmountainwoman said...

What a wonderful winter drive through the country. I loved all the photographs. Now, if I could just get those songs out of my mind...

The Birdlady said...

Very nice - and I too enjoyed the drive in the snow - since you were the one doing the driving!

Marsha said...

What a fun tour through the Pennsylvania countryside. I felt like I was riding along and you really do live in a beautiful area, wind turbines and all.

Peggy said...

Interesting about the noisy turbines. I don't know how they build them in Penn. but in my area, I can get pretty close to one and I don't hear a peep. Weird! (Its where the snowy was found, and it must not bother him)

Site Meter